Thursday, October 28, 2010

Gay Rights at Oktoberfest

So, I recently heard about a huge Gay Rights issue that erupted during the Oktoberfest Parade.

Basically, what occurred was nothing but an ignorant statement that obviously went to far. During the parade, the LBGT Resource Center was marching with an altered American flag. The flag was altered by the LBGT Resource Center to include all of the colors of the rainbow, to support their cause. Soon after they started marching, a young girl carrying the flag was approached by Riverfest Commodore Mark Schneider. Schneider soon told her that the flag was "a disgrace to his country" and demanded that they leave.

I find this completely appalling. Our nation is a wonderful place because of all of our various freedoms. These certainly include the freedom of speech and the freedom to protest without violence. What Mark Schneider said is both cruel and unamerican. I am a firm supporter of LBGT rights, but moreso, I am a supporter of the personal freedoms that we are graciously allowed to live with in America.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, I think anyone has the right to their own decision. Whatever makes them happy!

    ReplyDelete